Iowa Beef Center and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach are teaming up with University of Nebraska—Lincoln and the Nebraska Beef Council to offer a Feedlot Roundtable session at five Iowa locations Feb. 9. IBC Extension beef program specialist Erika Lundy said these sessions are offered annually in Nebraska and a cooperative arrangement between the two state universities offers Internet access for Iowans to the afternoon session.
Topics and speakers for this year’s session, which runs from 1 to 4:30 p.m.:
- Environmental effects on bovine respiratory disease;
- Brian Vander Ley, Great Plains Veterinary Educational Center;
- Options for marketing fed cattle, and what fed cattle exchange entails;
- Steve Sunderman, producer, Nebraska Cattlemen Committee;
- Facts and fiction regarding livestock and climate change; and
- Frank Mitloehner, University of California-Davis.
This webinar is part of an agreement between Iowa State University Extension and UNL Extension to share livestock educational resources and programs.
“New this year for the Iowa locations, we’ll host an Iowa State feedlot research update at the Ames location that will be broadcast to the other four Iowa locations via an internet connection,” Lundy said. “This update will feature information from trials on trace mineral supplementation levels to implanted and non-implanted steers, effects of sources of trace minerals on steer recovery from mineral deficiencies and a five-year summary of feeding efficiency research, and will be presented by Emma Niedermayer, graduate student; Sarah Hartman, graduate student; and Stephanie Hansen, associate professor.”
See the program flier with information for all five Iowa locations at http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/events/2017BeefRoundtable.pdf.
“The $10 fee is payable at the door and covers materials and refreshments. Please preregister for the location you will attend by Feb. 7 using the following contact information. Location and contact information is as follows:
- Delaware County Extension, 1417 N. Franklin St., Manchester—Denise Schwab, email@example.com, 319-472-4739;
- Hancock County Extension, 327 West 8th St., Garner—Russ Euken, firstname.lastname@example.org, 641-923-2856;
- Howard County Extension, 132 1st Ave. West, Cresco—Sue Barnes, email@example.com, 563-547-3001;
- ISU Hansen Ag Student Center, 2508 Mortensen Rd, Ames—Iowa Beef Center, firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-294-2333; and
- Webster County Extension, 217 S. 25th St., Ste. C12, Fort Dodge—Linda Cline, email@example.com, 515-576-2119.
More information is available from the Iowa Beef Center website at www.iowabeefcenter.org, your local county Extension Office or Iowa State Extension and Outreach beef program specialist.